Iyengar Yoga Development Fund
Support vulnerable members of the community by making a donation
The Iyengar Yoga Development Fund (IYDF) has been set up to fund teachers to work with people who would not normally be able to afford or access yoga classes and could benefit a great deal from the positive outcomes of regular yoga practice.
Every certificated Iyengar yoga teacher pays an annual sum to Iyengar Yoga UK (IY (UK)) for the use of the Iyengar Yoga Certification Mark: 60% of this money goes towards development projects like schools and hospitals in the village of Bellur, India, where Mr Iyengar was born. The remaining 40% is used for the Development Fund, and a part goes towards the Iyengar yoga archives project. As the income stream for these classes is sustainable, we are able to offer a long term commitment to running the classes if funding cannot be sourced elsewhere.
The IYDF supports teachers with a range of different students, including prisoners, a deaf club, special needs students, and vulnerable women in a refuge. There is a committee who agree the requests for funding.*
An IYDF funded class in a prison
Caroline Kennedy received IYDF funding to teach a group of unpaid carers in London. Caroline asked her class for comments, and the following quotes are a lovely example of how yoga helps people:
“Since starting Yoga at the carers centre I have felt better and am a lot more flexible”
”I have just had my first class – I found it relaxing and refreshing. It is good to focus on something other than my caring responsibility”
”I’m enjoying the classes and it has helped me to relax”
”I really enjoyed the yoga I look forward every Monday morning it helps me a lot to relax and socialise [lovely]”
If you have a passion to help vulnerable members of the community, do get in touch and ask about IYDF funding.
Thinking of applying for IYDF funding? Here are some things you need to know:
- Registered Iyengar yoga teachers can apply for funding
- Teachers will be paid £50 per class
- Classes can either be free, or teachers can choose to make a small charge to the students which would be subtracted from the £40 teacher payment
- The classes should be arranged through an organisation in your local area that works with people who would not normally be able to access yoga classes or who are deprived in some way
- The host organisation will be responsible for identifying students and publicising classes
- If possible the host organisation will provide a venue
- The classes will be for beginners and will use minimal equipment
- Teachers need to be qualified to Junior Intermediate Level 1 or higher
- If there is a therapy aspect to the classes, please see the recent announcement about the new rules for teaching therapy classes
- Classes can be funded indefinitely subject to the availability of the teacher, the co-operation of the host project and that the students remain eligible for IYDF classes
Please sign in to the Members Dashboard and go to the Documents page for more information.
*Please note that for the short term only, and while a budget and process review is carried out, the fund is not open to accept applications for funding.
It is expected that applications will reopen after the next executive committee meeting at the end of September 2019. If there is an urgent matter you’d like to discuss, please contact the chair Elaine Spraggett, by email